[racket] iPhone (Was: [The Racket Blog] New comment on Racket.)

From: Karl Winterling (kwinterling at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 12:02:20 EDT 2010

It's probably a mix of Apple's desire to have a consistent user
interface, control code distribution through the app store, prevent
worthy competing API's (like, say, Java ME) from challenging Cocoa
(which partially concerns money and partially consistent UI), and
assure the FCC and carriers that no one (other than people who want to
do something illegal) will get direct access to hardware and do
something questionable.

I think it's an ethical question insofar as it relates to the freedom
consumers should have to run any code they want on their computers or,
more generally, use their computers for any (legal) purpose. Some
consumers know how to write code, so they should be able to run it on
their iphones and share it without restriction.

Beyond protecting their kids from sexual predators, I'm really
indifferent to whether parents think it's objectionable for their kids
to look at "clad women/men." That's why you have parental controls.
It's not Apple's job to decide whether Space: 1999 is appropriate for
the average US/EU/Japan/SK family.