[racket] Upgrading from 4.2 to 5.0 (Racket)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jun 15 12:06:17 EDT 2010

On Jun 14, Greg Hendershott wrote:
> Apologies if this was on the download page or release notes but I
> couldn't find it.
>
> What is the best way to upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0?
>
> Some possibilities I can imagine, multiple choice:
>
> [a] Install 5.0. (Maybe it's an in-place upgrade, 5.0 will find/use
> 4.2 prefs/config and remove 4.2?)
> [b] Install 5.0,then uninstall 4.2.  (Maybe so 5.0 can find/use
> existing 4.2 prefs/config?)
> [c] Uninstall 4.2, then install 5.0. (Maybe the uninstall of 4.2 would
> somehow foobar 5.0?)
>
> ?

If this is on Windows, then the installers won't find the PLT
installation, which means that [a] will work, but you'll still have
the old copy of PLT.  I think that [b] will lose the .ss/.scm
association when the PLT installer is removed (but I don't remember
how the association is stored, it might not make a difference).  So
option [c] should should be fine -- the preferences are stored in your
user-specific settings, and those are not removed with the
uninstaller.  (And the directory where they're stored is different
now, but if the new preferences directory doesn't exist and the old
one does, then it will copy and use the old one.)

If you're on OSX/Linux, then [c] should work fine too.  (I think that
OSX has some way to associate files, but no idea how...)