[racket] Off-topic: Scheme for JVM?

From: Thomas Chust (chust at web.de)
Date: Wed Jun 9 16:07:14 EDT 2010

2010/6/9 Mike G. <mikeg at psg.com>:
> Until Racket has a back end to the JVM, what's a good
> alternative?  Wikipedia lists Bigloo, Kawa, SISC, and JScheme,
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JVM_languages) but I've
> never used any of them yet.  Although not a dialect of Scheme,
> Clojure gets a lot of attention.
> [...]

Hello,

personally, I would recommend Kawa or Bigloo. Both are reasonably
featureful Scheme dialects, the interface to the Java runtime is
decent and you can actually compile scheme code to Java classes. SISC
is relatively old, slower compared to Kawa or Bigloo because it is a
pure interpreter and it has a rather clumsy Scheme to Java interface
compared with Kawa or Bigloo -- apart from that it seems to be well
designed and work well, too.

I would not recommend Clojure, although it has some fancy features and
is currently en vogue, because the standard library seems to be in a
very bad shape and full of bugs.

Ciao,
Thomas