[racket] Re: [plt-scheme] Re: Typed scheme: Cannot apply expression of type Procedure, since it is not a function type

From: keydana at gmx.de (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Sat Jun 5 02:44:23 EDT 2010

> Products are Ands are tuples. E.g. int * bool -- an integer and a boolean
> Sums are Ors are discrimintaed unions. E.g. Foo | Bar
> Duals informally means you can map concepts in one domain directly
> into the other

so products and sums would be isomorphic? Then sums would be some kind of "compressed representation" in a way, allowing me to express the same thing in a shorter/easier way?

> I don't have a good explanation for this, but I think sums and
> products as axes in 2D, and having the two allows you to escape the
> constraints of one axis.

This sounds interesting. What kinds of constraints are these - or perhaps a quicker-to-answer question: where's this subject treated in mathematics (haven't read anything about it in my precious "Abstract Algebra" :-;)?