[racket] [htdp] Help with Exercise 12.4.2

From: Sam Griff (sgriff89 at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 6 18:14:45 EDT 2010

> Exercise 12.4.2 is notorius. When looking to (list 'a 'b 'c), you should
> exspect 6 distinct permutations.
> Jos

Thanks for your response but that really doesn't help me much. I'm
focusing on insert-everywhere/in-single-word now. I understand what
arrangements does
and what permutations to expect.

> My first suggestion is to check the function examples to make sure the values they expect are consistent with your data definitions.

Can you explain please? I'm not sure I fully understand. The only
thing I could see was in my base case the function should return a
list of words but before returned a single word. Is that what you
mean?

(define (insert-everywhere/in-single-word s w)
  (cond
    [(empty? w) (cons (cons s empty) empty)]
    [else ... (first w) ... (insert-everywhere/in-single-word s (rest w))]))

> Amen.
>
> -- Make sure you truly understand list vs cons. If you have any doubts,
> stick to cons.-- For your template, spell out what each expression produces
> before you finish the definition.-- Use the examples, especially the ones
> that fail.-- Figure out what you need to combine the pieces.-- Ideally,
> arrange the thing in a table:
>  input | (first input) | .... | recursive result | expected result
>
> and keep adding examples until it clicks: i.e., until you know how to
> combine recursive result with some other things to get the expected result.
>
> And do stick to the design recipe all the way down.

Thanks! I will try those suggestions and see if they help.

Posted on the users mailing list.