[plt-scheme] SIW: Capture-avoiding paste

From: Neil Toronto (ntoronto at cs.byu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 23 11:31:17 EST 2010

Strange Idea of the Week

Sensei and I were chatting a couple of days ago, and we thought it would
be pretty cool if, when you pasted things in the DrScheme editor, it did
some moral equivalent to capture-avoiding substitution. This would
require at minimum (I think) some kind of incremental Check Syntax that
was somewhat robust to bad/incomplete/partial syntax. It would
necessarily be a conservative approximation. Without expanding macros,
it would be impossible to tell what the binding forms are, and macros
can't be expanded on illegal syntax.

I haven't got a clue why it would be cool, apart from being able to
reason about your own code by doing copy-and-paste, and be sure that you
haven't messed something up. Maybe the algebraic stepper in the module
language is what I really want most of the time, but I still think this
would be cool.

Neil T

Posted on the users mailing list.