[plt-scheme] Re: Novice question: evaluating symbols

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 9 11:24:41 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 15:18, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2010, at 4:17 AM, Laurent wrote:
>
> > (Btw, isn't this macro hygienic?)
>

> Of course not. You're introducing a synthetic name that binds stuff.

Do you mean `new-id' or its value?
In the second case, ok, but then there is no (?) difference with the
`with-syntax' macro one.
If in the first case, then I'll need to think about it...

For the rest, I probably didn't express my thoughts clearly enough.
I don't say that the syntactic information is useless (of course it's not,
and even I, not "a real PLT programmer", have used it a few times).
What I say is that there should be simple tools, just like syntax-rules and
define-syntax-rule (that do not show the syntactic information), but for
macros that are a bit less simple like the one discussed here, but still
hiding the surrounding syntactic information.
So that when I don't need it, I don't have to handle it.

Otherwise it's a bit like if I ask "How do I draw a sheep?" and get the
answer "Here's a library that gives you access to machine-level code" (well,
that's very unfair, but you see my point).

Laurent
P.S. : I'm not blaming anyone, quite the contrary, you guys do a great work
and I love PLT Scheme.