[plt-scheme] [redex] extending languages

From: Keiko Nakata (keiko at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp)
Date: Mon Jan 4 10:59:07 EST 2010

Hello,

I am wondering what would be a recommended way to play with
extending languages in plt redex.

[In short, I am facing the so-called expression problem.]
When a language is extended with new constructs, then I need to extend
both the reduction-relation and associated metafunctions, such as one
for substitution. As a reduction-relation is extended,
rules inherited from the original reduction-relation should use
extended metafunctions. Similarly when a metafunction g, which may call
another metafunction f, is extended,
clauses inherited from original should call the extended version of f.

Is this doable within redex facilities?
Or, should/could I use PLT's unit system?

Best,
Keiko

Posted on the users mailing list.