[plt-scheme] Re: A new version of Typed Scheme

From: Benjamin L. Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 24 20:22:34 EST 2010

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM, keydana at gmx.de<keydana at gmx.de>  wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> In general, I wonder would it be possible to add a short introduction regarding concepts / implementation (for sure a detailed explanation of the concepts behind typed scheme do not belong in a guide, but ....)
>
> I've wanted to write this, but I think it belongs in a separate
> document, not as part of the guide.

This is potentially very interesting information, and would probably
belong in a "gentle introduction."

For example, in the case of Haskell, "A Gentle Introduction to Haskell,
Version 98" (see http://www.haskell.org/tutorial/) serves as a
supplement describing the ideas and terminology behind that language
using examples, and pointing to the Haskell Report (see
http://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/), which is a much more technical
document, for details.

Therefore, it might be interesting to write a Typed Scheme counterpart,
possibly entitled "A Gentle Introduction to Typed Scheme (typed/scheme
and typed/scheme/base)."

Alternatively, a more detailed document describing the history and
evolution of Typed Scheme might be modeled on the Haskellian "A History
of Haskell: Being Lazy with Class" (see
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1238856), possibly entitled "A
History of Typed Scheme: How Schemers Came to Type, and How Types Came
to Schemers."

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^