[plt-scheme] typed scheme type checking takes very long

From: Tomi Neste (tomi.neste at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 24 08:50:22 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Tomi Neste <tomi.neste at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Robby Findler
> > <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> >> IIUC, the default settings in DrScheme (assuming you're using the
> >> Module language) will also have this effect; you may also see some
> >> speed up by choosing the "No debugging or profiling" in the "details"
> >> section of the language dialog. Note that your stack traces will get
> >> worse, tho (you'll still have some stack trace information, just not
> >> as much).
> >>
> >> Robby
> >
> > IME "No debugging or profiling" and turning off "Preserve stacktrace"
> helps
> > a lot with Typed Scheme compilation performance. Interestingly when I'm
> > running from Emacs (using the excellent Geiser mode) compiling Typed
> Scheme
> > code is a lot faster than using DrScheme.
>
> Likely because you're running in a mode that is equivalent to
> disabling those things (the default from the commandline tools).
>
> > Regarding the "Populate compiled..." option, I assume it is supposed to
> > automatically compile to .zos when I run the module?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Either I'm doing
> > something wrong or it doesn't work since I don't see any compiled files
> in
> > my module directory...
>
> Look in compilled/drscheme/, relative to your source files.
>
> Robby

Hmm, I have /home/tomppa/Projects/collects/ included in my collections path
and a file /home/tomppa/Projects/collects/foo/foo.ss in there.  I also have
a symlink to my collects in ~/.plt-scheme/4.2.4/

After I run the foo.ss from DrScheme there are still no .zos anywhere. I
tried manually adding the compiled/drscheme directories first but no change.
Running mzc from shell works fine.

I have v4.2.4 running on Ubuntu but I think I didn't get it working with
earlier versions (with XP & Ubuntu) either.

--
tomppa