[plt-scheme] Re: HTDP - evidently not for everyone.

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 14 09:31:19 EST 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Thomas Holubar wrote:

> As HtdP (or programming education, for that matter) broadens its
> domain, more and more students with wildly different backgrounds
> will be exposed to it. And one-size-fits-all is likely not the best
> approach...
> So: Where is "HtdP light"?
> :-)

I know of two candidates for "HtDP light".  One is BootstrapWorld, to
which Matthias has already posted a link; it's aimed at middle-school
and high-school levels.  The other is my textbook _Picturing
Programs_, which I've written largely based on my experience teaching
a college-level "Computer Programming for Non-Majors" course, but
which is also in use in a number of high schools.  Both
BootstrapWorld and Picturing Programs strongly emphasize graphics and
animation as motivating examples.  For that matter, so does the 2nd
edition of "HtDP heavy" :-)

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.