[plt-scheme] Re: HTDP - evidently not for everyone.

From: wooks (wookiz at hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 12 12:36:17 EST 2010

On Feb 12, 2:13 pm, Neil Van Dyke <n... at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> wooks wrote at 02/12/2010 08:42 AM:
>
> > My students understand sufficiently what is shown in class but cannot
> > translate that to the  writing a program (or even a template)
> > unaided.  They also cannot cope with a task that is only a slight
> > variation from what they have seen and understood in class - like for
> > example write count list after being shown and understood how to write
> > sum list.
>
> It's easy for a student to nod at an explanation ("yeah, makes sense")
> while having only a superficial understanding.

Why do you presume thats what happened?

> Writing "count list" is hard, until you know how to write things like
> "count list" sufficiently well that it's trivial to you.

Asking them how to write count-list (in class not as homework) after
showing them how to write sum list... where could I possibly have
gotten that idea from?

http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/Book/curriculum-Z-H-1.html#node_toc_node_sec_9.5

> If students are not putting in the hours to get experience, or they are
> getting much poorer-quality experience in those hours than is possible,
> then I'd say that -- not some inherent inability of the student -- is
> the barrier.

The number of hours they put in is an issue.  It explains the quality
of the homework I see but not the situation I related.

Posted on the users mailing list.