[plt-scheme] Re: HTDP - evidently not for everyone.

From: Thomas Holubar (scheme at phirho.com)
Date: Thu Feb 11 06:21:10 EST 2010

Hello!

Well, it seems the discussion got to a point where I just cannot resist
anymore writing a few thoughts of mine.

What is actually the aim of this discussion?
a) Are we looking for a good way to excuse students' lack of learning
success?
b) Are we looking for a good way to excuse teachers' lack of success
teaching?
c) Are we looking for a good way to excuse society for not wanting to
invest more in education?

I'm sure that to some degree all of those apply. And I'm just as sure
that we will never ever get to an agreement when trying to quantify them.

Why is this so?
Because the problem/question at hand is much much more profound then it
seems at first sight.

Let's go step by step:
We have a study that claims to be able to predict students' learning
success in a given environment. Goal: separating students into three
groups:
- forget about them - wasted effort
- don't bother - will succeed anyway
- invest - might/should pay off

I have several objections against such systems:
- It is always possible to get the expected result in a controlled
environment/study. The hard part is to assess successfully what you do
not control.
- The goal of the study is not educational/pedagogical, but merely economic.
- There are numerous studies showing the contrary (as there are numerous
studies in complete agreement with this one).

Let's get to some more detail:
Economic vs. educational:
The question "Is it worth the effort?" clearly shows that it is a merely
economic viewpoint. Why? In every learning situation there is so much
more involved then just the mere passed/failed at the end of the semester.
Still: the economic aspect is a very valid one. But it's just one - and
not the only one!!.

Study methodology:
I must admit that I didn't read this particular study. I read many with
similar or identical claims in the past, though. But instead of going
into detail here a look back at history might shed some light on the
reasons behind my objections.
Public schools have been *the* success story in the societies where they
exist. They're not perfect and whatever you want - but just compare
societies with a long tradition of public schooling with those who do
not have them and the difference becomes apparent.
And in many countries the literacy rate is around 99%. So apparently
it's possible to teach reading/writing to almost everyone. Something
that nowadays seems auto-evident, 200 years ago it did not.

Other studies:
While I do not have the references at hand (it's over 10 years now that
I haven't worked in education) I still can give you a taste of what I
read in the past (and I could probably come up with some references if
it were of common interest):
- students' success depends heavily (some say principally) on the
attitude of the teacher towards the student
[Actually: the younger the student the more important the teacher's
attitude]
- ethnic group A is inherently more intelligent then ethnic group B
[A study in a controlled environment - see above what I think of these
studies...]

*BUT*
every teacher faces different situations, with different resources
(time, money, equipment, ...) available. And teachers are all different,
too.
So, I'm confident saying:
just as one can learn to speak, read and write, make music or paint can
one learn to program as well.
[Note: not all who play an instrument will be Paganinis - neither will
all artists be Rubens. After all: we all can write but none of us comes
even close to Cervantes or Shakespeare.] So, while not every single
student will reach the heights of Turing he should be able to do decently.

The problem is that sometimes the environment is more of an obstacle
than help.
And I also believe (although I'm less confident saying this) that the
potential can be buried below tons of garbage (it is much easier to
learn most skills early in your life). And I'm not so sure if it can be
digged out afterwards easily.
All the more important is decent education from the beginning.
But this again is just as much a political & economic topic as it is an
educational one.

Amen.
And sorry for the long post - but I used to be passionate about this
topic...

Regards,
Thomas

Posted on the users mailing list.