[plt-scheme] Re: HTDP - evidently not for everyone.

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 10 14:44:28 EST 2010

> I don't think it is fair to extrapolate the argument to any X.

I don't see much in their argument that is CS-specific.  Hence I
*speculated* that it might be possible to extrapolate.

> The argument is that programming ability is a naturally occurring
> attribute that humans either possess or don't, hence the appropriate
> comparison would be with some other naturally occurring human
> attribute rather than one, like spelling or reading that are skills
> generally acquired through teaching.

This phrasing reminds me a great deal of the behavioral psychology
work of Carol Dweck, which aims to address (and show as ill-founded)
precisely such opinions.  I find her work quite compelling, and indeed
it has been influential in the way I've re-thought my teaching style.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.