[plt-scheme] Re: HTDP - evidently not for everyone.

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 10 08:46:11 EST 2010

wooks, I am still curious about your larger point.

WE think programming, done a certain way, can and should be an
essential skill for everyone.  Whether or not the world agrees, it
certainly does think everyone should know to read and write.

But those are also abstract, symbolic skills that are probably "beyond
the reach" of some.  How should schools respond to that?

And for that matter, study has shown that some who "can't do X" have a
much subtler problem: for instance, dyslexia.  Should we have
administered a "does this spelling look right?" test before school and
kept them out of reading classes?  (And what if there's a similar
phenomenon here?)

I will note, in passing, what is so obvious that some might have
missed it: the style of programming that the study discusses is not
that of HtDP.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.