[plt-scheme] drscheme fonts 2 : oh for Heaven's sake...

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Feb 4 18:45:26 EST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Anthony Cowley wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM, John Clements <clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
>> p.s.: permission to forward to plt-scheme?
>
> Sure, I was hoping you'd discovered the obvious incantation for making
> it work, but if it's an ongoing concern then I suppose it should go on
> the record. (I've got the all letter forms are blank strain of the
> sickness in Karmic, btw.)

Ah! well, it worked for me in Karmic (that is, I got back to only-one-jaggy-font), and I believe the process was something like this, using a linode vps:

1) choose base image
2) Install ubuntu-desktop-<mumble>
3) Install VNC
4) configure vnc xstartup to call gnome-session at the end rather than twm
5) install -dev libraries for xft, freetype2, xaw, cairo
6) build fresh.

.. though actually, the package install of 4.1.something offered by aptitude also displayed the same behavior.

John Clements