[racket] DrDr requests: Hosts and Regression Tests

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 16:32:08 EDT 2010

DrDr [1] has proven very useful for finding bugs across the core and
in particular on Linux. Unfortunately, it is doesn't do any tests on
PLaneT code, code that users are developing privately, and doesn't do
any testing on OSes other than Linux or distributions other than
Ubuntu. I would like to call on the community to help with this
problem.

1) Architectures, operating systems, distributions

I will buy equipment to run DrDr on Windows and Mac OS X. I would like
someone to help me set up a Windows build environment. I would also
like users to contribute either (a) a host [real or virtual machine]
to run tests on OR (b) a specification for a host [equipment to buy,
software to install, volunteering to install it] so I can slowly
acquire more test machines as funds are available.

2) Regression tests

I would like users to submit code that can be made public that DrDr
can continuously test. This will allow the developers to know when
changes will break user code. We can either figure out how to maintain
compatibility or we can work with the user to update the software.
Either way, users will know that there is a problem before they
actually download and try out a new release.

If you can't easily pare down some code in your system or are having
difficulty making an automated test suite, I'm happy to help you
develop it.

Please send host information, specs, and tests to me privately. Feel
free to discuss on the mailing list.

Jay

1. http://drdr.racket-lang.org/

--