[racket] syntax, differently

From: Anthony Cowley (acowley at seas.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 2 10:46:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Horace Dynamite
<horace.dynamite at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I suppose I was being a little too aggressive at the suggestion. I
> do wonder how tricky it will be do have a line-breaking routine that
> can take as input the program I posted, and produce as output the
> program you returned.

It doesn't have to do all that work. If DrRacket just wrapped lines at
80 characters, the user would do the work of refactoring to make
things sensible. The nice part about wrapping the display at 80
characters (*not* inserting line breaks) is that you can type out a
really long line to get your thoughts down on the screen, see if it
compiles/runs, then make it readable. To this end, I kind of like
line-wrap symbols (as in emacs) as they make it painfully obvious
where you've fallen off the wagon (in case the indentation itself
doesn't jump out and poke you in the eye).

Anthony

Posted on the users mailing list.