[racket] syntax, differently

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 2 08:53:35 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2010, at 7:21 AM, Horace Dynamite wrote:
>
>> I don't understand why instructors can't just explain to students what
>> style they should write in, and shout at them when they unnecessarily
>> break the style. This seems like a better method that stepping into
>> the thorny area of having DrRacket do all this stuff.
>

> Because students on the average do not listen. The very fact that
> you worked thru HtDP on your own at 16 shows that 'on the average'
> doesn't apply to you.

This the is the negative side of this, but the positive is that there
are lots of things that computers can help people do when it comes to
learning (eg, executing your program at all!). We should do our best
to exploit the computer's power to deal with mundane things (instead
of putting that burden on instructors/students).

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.