[plt-scheme] 2htdp/image questions

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 23 00:05:21 EDT 2010

I wrote:

>> What part of "I wouldn't teach this in a beginning course" didn't
>> get through? :-)  The "cache-image" proposal is purely an
>> optimization tool, not to be used until you've got a program that
>> produces correct answers but too slowly.  Most of my beginning
>> students will never write an animation that complex, so they'll
>> never need it.

and Marco replied:

> Actually, none of it got through clearly. :-( I can only surmise that
> you would only use cache-image for students not in a beginning course
> or you would use it in courses for advanced students.

Neither: I wasn't thinking of using it in a course at all.  I was
thinking of using it MYSELF to write teachpacks that I can then give
to beginning students (but they'll never need to know that I used
cache-image in writing it).  And if a particularly sharp student were
writing an unusually complex animation and running into efficiency
issues, I would tell that student about it.

> Perhaps it is just me, but I would rather introduce beginning
> students, for example, to distributed computing using universe than
> use universe to deepen understanding about image renditions and
> thinking about the machine.

No, it's not just you.

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu