[plt-scheme] kids, worlds and functional updates

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Sep 26 15:03:23 EDT 2009

Yaron Minsky wrote at 09/26/2009 02:44 PM:
> I'm playing around with the universe teachpack, and am curious whether
> anyone has thoughts about how to make the coding of worlds reasonably
> easy and intuitive for kids.

Kids?  HS-age, like what I believe PLT have worked with most so far, or
are you talking, say, 5 year-olds?  If the latter... The PARC Smalltalk
people were focused on young kids starting in the '70s (and a lot of our
modern GUI is an accident of decisions that were originally made for
kids), and contemporary morphs worlds are actually closer to the
original PARC stuff than probably most people realize.  This PARC work
was somewhat in parallel with the different work by Papert, et al. I
suspect that a concentration of people interested in morphs worlds
interfaces for kids are using Squeak right now.  I suggest that the
fastest way to bootstrap is to see what Squeak people know.  That might
give you the current thinking on your immediate question.  (I'm not
up-to-date in this area myself, I should add.)

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/