[plt-scheme] What language did the beta version of HtDP replace at Rice?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 24 20:43:19 EDT 2009

Nominally, SICP.

Rice made the decision to switch from a Pascal course to an SICP/Scheme
course in 1987 right before I joined, at the urging of an EE professor.

The first professor to teach it (Corky Cartwright, 1988) based the
course
on a mix and match approach from The Little LISPer/Schemer, SICP, and
the
Art of Scheme (Springer/Friedman). Students didn't take to SICP but the
course itself was liked.

For the second year we hired Bruce Duba as an instructor, who re-planned
the course with me. We heavily emphasized our own selection of material,
but we kept SICP around as text book for one or two more years.

In 1994, the HtDP course design started in honest and the College of
Engineering opened a C/C++ course, competing directly with the CS
department
in the same college. The instructor was a prize-winning professor in CE,
and after two years I had more than four times the enrollment than his
course
-- even though his was required and Engineering students didn't get
credit for
mine.