[plt-scheme] a separate window for interactions

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Sep 24 09:58:12 EDT 2009

One of the Quack options is to have a window for the REPL buffer with a
dedicated (desktop window system) frame.  Emacs will then not use this
frame for any purpose other than the REPL.

I think I first saw something that in ILISP.  I usually use it to, e.g.,
make a very wide or very narrow REPL frame on my desktop, while keeping
my code frames a standard 80 columns wide.  Leaves more space on desktop
for shell and Web browser windows.  Tile as much as practical, rather
than overlap.  This is especially important now that PLT has moved to
the Web browser for documentation and the page layout is currently
rather greedy with horizontal real estate.

So, an undockable Interactions window in DrScheme would be nice, as
would documentation layout that doesn't want a window wider than the
body text.  Variable width of the body text flow would help too.

Matthias Felleisen wrote at 09/24/2009 09:41 AM:

> Sorry, I understand now. (I have never used Emacs in this mode, and I
> have used Emacs for nearly 20 years.)
>

> On Sep 24, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Jay McCarthy wrote:
>
>> I think Keiko wants to "undock" the interactions window like you can
>> with the search or test dialogs. That way it is possible to use
>> Alt-Tab to switch between rather than DrS keys.
>>
>> I think the other features give you the same thing, but I don't think
>> this particular feature exists.

Posted on the users mailing list.