[plt-scheme] oracle driver for PLT?

From: keydana at gmx.de (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Tue Sep 22 14:20:21 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I have a question inspired by YC's creation of the dbi interface.
Seeing that there are currently drivers for mysql, postgresql and
sqlite, I've started wondering how feasible it would be to write a
driver for Oracle, and whether there would be any interest in the PLT
community in having this?

Of course when I ask how difficult this would be, I know I'd have to
multiply (exponentiate?) any estimations by an enormous factor, given
that up till now I have never used FFI and have only rudimentary
knowledge of C... and of Oracle too at the moment (but this could
change).

So my question is more about the general feasibility (perhaps there
are any obstacles I do not even imagine?) and whether you would think
it desirable to have such a driver for PLT.

 From looking at how other languages communicate with Oracle, I guess
one would have to use OCI, so in fact writing a scheme interface for
the OCI functions (or the most basic ones, to start with).

I'd be very interested what you think about this?

Thanks,
Sigrid

Posted on the users mailing list.