[plt-scheme] Re: why --enable-macprefix?

From: Peter Michaux (petermichaux at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 9 17:28:41 EDT 2009

On Sep 9, 1:44 pm, Matthew Flatt <mfl... at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> At Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:49:32 -0700 (PDT), Peter Michaux wrote:
>
> > What is the purpose of not allowing by default the --prefix option
> > when running ./configure? I see that --enable-macprefix will allow --
> > prefix to be used. Is there some problem that will arise on a Mac if --
> > prefix is used?
>
> I've added the following note to the Mac OS X section of src/README:
>
>  * To use --prefix without --enable-xonx, you must also supply
>    --enable-macprefix. BEWARE! The directory structure for a non-xonx
>    build does not fit a typical Unix directory structure. For example,
>    frameworks are written directly to a "lib" subdirectory, and
>    executables like "MrEd.app" are written directory to the prefix

s/directory/directly/ ?

>    directory. (Requiring --enable-macprefix with --prefix for a
>    non-xonx build helps prevent accidental installation of a Mac-style
>    directory structure on top of an existing Unix-style directory
>    structure.)

Thank you for the information.

I've been experimenting with different configure options when building
the MzScheme source code distribution for OS X. To get a normal UNIX-
style build on OS X it seems sufficient to do

./configure --enable-xonx --prefix=/usr/local

Also it seems that the --enable-xonx option does not have much effect
on the MzScheme build. Is it true that there is not really any Quartz
or X11 components in the MzScheme source code?

Peter

Posted on the users mailing list.