[plt-scheme] Test the Program

From: Barry Brown (barry at cs.sierracollege.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 3 16:51:15 EDT 2009

I'll add one more tidbit to Stephen's answer.

The textbook you're using, How To Design Programs, hasn't yet caught
up to the latest pedagogical features of DrScheme. The newer versions
of DrScheme are centered around what some would call "test-driven
development" in which the student must write tests for their functions
rather than manually trying them out. Consequently, if you omit the
tests, DrScheme gives you a warning that the program hasn't been
tested. Pedagogically, typing in ad-hoc expressions after the function
has been written doesn't count as testing it.

If you want to follow the text, I'd suggest two things:

1. Introduce the students now to writing the check-expect tests that
Stephen and others have shown.
or
2. Skip the automated tests for now and tell the students to ignore
the warning. The book introduces the idea (if not the syntax) of
automated tests in section 2.5.

There is a second edition of the book in progress. Testing is an
integral part of the design recipe and the syntax for doing automated
tests is introduced early.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/index.html

-B