[plt-scheme] Re: Lexical Scoping, References and Side Effects

From: Lee Spector (lspector at hampshire.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 2 17:09:10 EDT 2009

Does this do what you want?

-----
#lang scheme

(define-syntax (stack-push stx)
   (syntax-case stx ()
       ((_ name item)
        #`(set! name (cons item name)))))

(define stack-top
   (lambda (s)
     (car s)))
-----

Then in the interactions pane I can do:

 > (define stack '())
 > (stack-push stack 1)
 > (stack-top stack)
1

Note that I do have to quote () in the first line, but I don't think
that that was the focus of your question.

Incidentally I've just been doing a lot of stack-based system
development in DrScheme -- I work on a kind of genetic programming
based on stack machines -- and I do a lot of destructive stack
modification. I use different ideas than I presented here, but it's a
messier context...

  -Lee