[plt-scheme] Paren Paralysis Sufferers Unite

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Oct 29 14:02:56 EDT 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Jaime Vargas wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:41 PM, John Clements wrote:
>
>> 3) Tangentially related: if you introduce all your () pairs with
>> ESC-(, then you'll never need to type a right paren again. You can
>> highlight an s-expression and hit ESC-(, and you'll wrap the term
>> in parens.  Going whole hog, you can remap your left-paren to
>> perform this operation, and you can get rid of the 'ESC'.
>
> Given than matching brackets are the norm. Why the default requires
> escaping to insert pairs?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  By default, typing a left
paren inserts a single left paren into the buffer.  With the remapping
I use, typing left-paren inserts a matching pair of parens, wrapped
around the current selection, with the cursor just to the right of the
left-paren.  Are you suggesting that *everyone* should use this
remapping?  It seems like a good idea to me, but I'm betting it would
increase the slope of the DrScheme learning curve.

John