[plt-scheme] Scheme for first year CS classes, good or bad?

From: David Storrs (david.storrs at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 22:11:02 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Prabhakar Ragde <plragde at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Jens Axel writes:
>

>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/9w1br/scheme_for_first_year_cs_classes_good_or_bad/
>
> This is a Waterloo student (not in the class I'm teaching, though at least
> one of his respondents is). He picked the wrong forum, as reddit seems to
> have a core of active dedicated functional programming fans. What was
> striking was the lack of agreement with his stance. --PR

The thing I found interesting was the basic message inherent in his thinking:

   "All that matters is that the program (seems to) output the correct result."

Yes, that's important, but testing and maintainability actually count
for more, IMO.  I would guess that his curriculum will address this,
though.

--Dks

Posted on the users mailing list.