[plt-scheme] Paren Paralysis Sufferers Unite

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sat Oct 17 00:03:34 EDT 2009

Hi Morgan,

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Morgan <lianciana at gmail.com> wrote:
> More importantly, what survival tricks are there to discovering
> whether there's too few or too many parens? Just knowing the syntax
> backward?

Other folks have described the syntax so that leaves the question of
how to make it easier. I can't find the post, but in it Eli explained
how to make navigating among s-expressions easy. Basically, you take
advantage of what your editor has to offer. Take DrScheme. Read this
part about the keybindings:

http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/article/139/working-with-drscheme-372

It can be very easy to navigate s-expressions and make sure that they
are balanced by using the built in keybindings.

The 2nd thing you pointed out is that you would like to be able to
distinguish different parts of an expression by adding extra
parentheses. In PLT Scheme you can use round brackets and curly
brackets and square brackets interchangeably as long as they balance.
You might experiment with this to make your code appear more to your
liking.

Posted on the users mailing list.