[plt-scheme] Questions on PLT status and project structure

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 14 20:31:59 EDT 2009

Scott, the proper way to extract knowledge from the core team and to
create your envisioned 'open project' is for you to crete a wonk wiki
where people can 'deposit' knowledge about the internals of the
system. Just imagine you have a compiler tab there that says

  -- invariants for the internal compiler representation

People read the code for the compiler, deposit what they find out,
link it to the on-line svn repository, and use it for submitting
patches. Such patches could then be about

  -- exploiting additional derived knowledge for the jit-ter (not
twitter)

and so on.

Naturally, this wonk-wiki would evolve according to people's interest
and tastes. For all I know, the web server and its guts may become the
hottest topic there just because a lot of people use it to run small
sites and web services. Whatever it is it would truly be community
driven.

I bet that if you had such a site and you'd get stuck on a piece of
knowledge in

  -- invariants for the internal compiler representation

you could post a question here and the core member who works on this
stuff would answer.

I am quite sure that most of us would love to 'consult' with such an
active user group, while we are dedicating our time to the projects
that are on the critical path (for some value of 'critical').

Go for it. Sooner or later you may have enough knowledge in this wonk-
wiki to replace Matthew, Robby, Jay, Sam, Ryan, Carl, Jon, and all the
other active contributors to the svn code base.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.