[plt-scheme] Questions on PLT status and project structure

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 14 08:04:42 EDT 2009

Scott,

For one thing, given that it is a project developed on a combination
of federal research support and private free time, making it open
source by the last person to turn off the lights will pose no
problems.  We've taken certain steps to ensure that.

More to the point, it's not clear that that last person is anywhere in
sight.  At this point we've kept the project supported for nearly just
shy of 15 years (the very first DrScheme -- two variants of it -- was
created in Feb and Mar 1995).  Set against an average human lifespan,
that's already pretty good.  And we continue to actively seek more
support for upcoming innovations.

Furthermore, support leads to growth.  The first response on this
thread was from Jay McCarthy, who is a third-generation PLTer.  I have
no doubt that someone will ask a similar question on the PLT list or
PLT Wave or PLT Ethercyberunrealspace fifteen years from now, and
someone two generations descended from Jay will be saying, "Speaking
for myself, I can't think of anything that would make me give up on
PLT. I would guess that most would say the same."

The state of the system is also interesting.  Like any large project
it has some cruft, but like VERY few other large projects, it has made
getting rid of its own cruft a central part of the project.  Since we
have lots of ability to produce cruft, we will be in business for a
while yet. (-:

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.