[plt-scheme] program online game

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 13 12:10:37 EDT 2009

On Oct 13, 2009, at 11:58 AM, David Storrs wrote:

>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:32:37 +0200
>> Brecht Van Laethem <brvlaeth at vub.ac.be> wrote:
>>
>>> I can't find how you can put an image on a specific position on
>>> the screen.
>
> The simplest, easiest way to do this is to build the board as a
> full-screen table where each table cell corresponds to one square on
> the Stratego board.  ...
> If you really want to support drag-and-drop moving of pieces, updates
> that don't require full refresh, and other "eye-candy", then I suggest
> you look into jQuery, or one of its competitors (YUI, Dojo, etc).

Another approach is to use the "universe" and "tiles" (or "image")
teachpacks.  "tiles" (which includes "image") gives you a bunch of
basic operations on images, such as rotation, reflection, vertical
and horizontal concatenation, etc.  "universe" gives you event-
driven, client/server GUI programming.  Both are intended to be
accessible to first-year students, but still give you enough power to
develop a moderately serious GUI.  One of my first-year students
wrote a chess program three or four years ago in a much more
primitive version of "universe" (which didn't have networking or
mouse input, only keyboard input)

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.