[plt-scheme] Scheme performance

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Nov 14 13:18:48 EST 2009

Scott McLoughlin wrote at 11/14/2009 12:57 PM:

> So either an NFA or DFA based regex processor can be easily written in
> scheme,
> so in my theoretical "benchmark"," the regex routines would have to be
> written
> in Scheme, and so on and so forth.

I am taking a higher-level view when I choose PLT Scheme.  As a tool,
it's a black box, and I don't care whether it's self-hosting and layered
only atop x86 instructions or a libc.

Asking whether the Scheme implementation itself is implemented entirely
in Scheme is perfectly valid, but I think that's of more interest to
compilers people or people asking "Should I use this particular
implementation to code my real-time OS kernel."

BTW, for regexps implemented in portable, pure Scheme, see
"http://evalwhen.com/pregexp/index.html".  I found this library very
useful under PLT Scheme years ago, although PLT's built-in regexp
support was faster.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/