[plt-scheme] Re: Poacher turned gamekeeper

From: Nadeem Abdul Hamid (nadeem at acm.org)
Date: Thu Nov 12 08:01:49 EST 2009

You could try asking a student to be the function -- tell them you'll
give them a sequence of digits (or write them on the board) and they
have to read back to you the number. Try it with some 3 and 4 digit
numbers; then give them something like  "13z5". Hopefully, they'll say
something like "that's not a number"; Try with a couple more valid
sequences of digits; then another invalid one. Point out to them, that
when they are given something not a number, then they are deciding
somehow what a suitable response is -- "false" is just an easy,
abbreviated way of indicating the "not a number" case -- because it
wouldn't make sense to read back some arbitrary number if given
something like "13z5." I don't think you want to overkill this issue
at this point -- just make it seem intuitively sensible and move on.