[plt-scheme] Scheme productivity data point

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Nov 10 15:26:44 EST 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 12:27 AM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:

> Noel Welsh wrote at 11/08/2009 03:43 PM:
>> The issue is total time to complete the job. Neil is saying that w/
>> Scheme
>>
> What Noel said.
>
> Disregard the non sequitur about the about the size of the output
> files; that was quoted to help support the validity of my file I/O
> comparisons, but then I decided I didn't need to support those in a
> blog post, yet accidentally neglected to remove that part from the
> quote.
>
> The nature of the work done, however, is relevant, since not all
> tools are necessarily good at all tasks.  PLT Scheme happens to be a
> good general-purpose toolset, IMHO, but my anecdote alone doesn't go
> far to supporting that.

1) Clearly, this argument applies to *any* high-level language with
good libraries and low coding overhead.

2) I think it would be illuminating to find the crossover point.  That
is: how many times would you have to run this job to make the C++
version better?  That depends on the size of the job itself, but if it
took (total guess) 1 minute in C++ and 2 minutes in scheme, and you
assume that the computer can run 24 hours a day after the code is
written, then you have:

2 days + n*(2 minutes) = 5 days + n*(1 minute)

looks like about 4,320. How many times did you actually run the program?

Obviously, there are a bunch of guesses in here.

John