[plt-scheme] Scheme productivity data point

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 8 15:43:58 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Jon Rafkind <rafkind at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> The input files were HTML and the output files were something.. but does
> that have anything to do with the fact that you used scheme? I don't see how
> the engine is a factor here, unless I missed something.

The issue is total time to complete the job. Neil is saying that w/ Scheme

1. The Scheme program was on ~2x slower than the time taken to just
shift the bytes. I.e. runtime overhead was low
2. More importantly, development time was only 2 days. With C++ dev.
time might well have been a week for very little performance
improvement.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.