[plt-scheme] session info in web server applications

From: Dave Gurnell (d.j.gurnell at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 6 04:48:07 EST 2009

FWIW: We've put together a simple little library for this called
"session cells":

   - cookie stores a random "session ID";
   - each session cell is a struct with a "cell ID" in it;

   - there's a global hash table of session IDs to "session tables";
   - a session table is a hash of cell IDs to values.

I like this solution for the simplicity of the interface and the
consistency with web cells.
Two things that require careful thought:

   - setting up the session cookie (a dispatcher stage would be good
for this);
   - garbage collection (we use a several hour timeout... there may be
a better approach).

Our code is all rolled up as part of a larger web toolkit but it
wouldn't take long to extract
if you're interested.

-- Dave

Jay McCarthy wrote:

> Email =)
>
> Jay
>
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM, David Storrs
> <david.storrs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:06 AM, Jay McCarthy
>> <jay.mccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The standard thing [for sessions] is to use a parameter that the
>>> continuation
>>> captures (in the URL) and a cookie that the browser holds as an