[plt-scheme] Why is (require (planet untyped/snooze:2) so slow?

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 6 01:00:29 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:25 AM, ccwu <ccwu660601 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that (require (planet untyped/snooze:2)) is slow. Is it
> always trying to get codes from internet? Or is it compiling itself
> every times?
>
> How can I reduce the loading time of (require (planet...
>
> Thank in advance.

It's not slow for me, after the package is installed.  It takes about
a second, maybe two, to run in DrScheme.  But the first time you run
it, on a particular version of DrScheme and a particular computer, it
will have to download, install, and compile the package.  That can
take several minutes.

Make sure that you let it install all the way, too.  If you stop it in
the middle, Planet can get stuck in an inconsistent state where it
doesn't compile all the way, and has to recompile every time you run.
If you think you're stuck in this state, there's two things to try.
One, run 'setup-plt' at the command line.  Then start DrScheme up
again and see if the require runs faster.  Two, if that doesn't work,
run 'planet remove untyped snooze.plt 2 <#>' (where <#> is the minor
version number of your snooze.plt package), then 'planet install
untyped snooze.plt 2 0' to install it again.  (Don't worry about the 0
there, it'll grab the highest 2.X available.)

Good luck!

--Carl

Posted on the users mailing list.