[plt-scheme] could we have a git-svn mirror of the repository?

From: Anthony Cowley (acowley at seas.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 2 11:27:32 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> On Nov  2, troels knak-nielsen wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>> > My hope is (was?) that things are simple if all I want is to
>> > replay a bunch of patches.
> OK, to rephrase my original question: what if we're using svn as
> usual, and allow one-way merges from git (or whatever) in, and to make
> it easy to work with git we keep that git-svn thing updated to the svn
> trunk?  Does this mean that we get the benefits of distributed work
> but also keep the advantages of svn?

git-svn is bidirectional out of the box. Since most projects I work on
use git these days, I've used git-svn in the past to pull SVN-based
projects into my workflow, but that was always near the start of the
project. That may be significant because git-svn initialization
involves pulling all revisions from the SVN repository, which sounds
rather daunting in PLT's case.

This page covers the basics of setting things up for clients,
<http://orestis.gr/blog/2008/08/23/git-svn-tutorial/>, but doesn't
address how to have a publicly available git mirror of the SVN
repository that is automatically updated. The usual style for users of
the repository is,

git checkout -b NewFeature
...do lots of work...
git commit -a
git checkout master
git svn rebase
git merge NewFeature
git svn dcommit

which creates a new branch for a new feature, commits changes, pulls
updates from SVN, merges local changes, and pushes to the SVN
repository.

The manual for git-svn mentions setting up a git repository local to
the SVN repository so you don't have a bunch of users pulling every
revision:
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html#_basic_examples>

I think those will be the instructions most relevant for a PLT mirror.

Anthony

Posted on the users mailing list.