[plt-scheme] could we have a git-svn mirror of the repository?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Nov 2 07:22:09 EST 2009

On Nov  2, Martin DeMello wrote:
> Pretty please? :) I tried checking it out myself but it was huge and
> died halfway, and I didn't think it right to waste the server's
> bandwidth by trying again. If there were an official read-only
> git-svn mirror maintained on the same server, it would just require
> a rebase script every time something got checked into svn. Would
> make life a lot more convenient for people wanting to hack on the
> codebase.

Yes, I can definitely do that, provided that:

* Someone can provide me with child-proof instructions on how to do so
  (my experience with git wasn't too great).

* It is enough to serve the result over plain http somehow -- so I
  don't need to install new apache modules or open up new ports or
  whatever.

In fact, if this can be used to provide patches for the plt
repository, then I'll take back the second bullet and will invest in
doing whatever's needed to install it -- including whatever hooks are
needed to keep it in sync with the svn repository, and include the
links on the svn.plt-scheme.org repository page.

Notes:

* Feel free to contact me off-list if you can provide the above
  child-proof instructions.

* All of this applies for other distributed systems too.

* Out of curiosity (and no flames intended): if this can be used to
  have people use git and send back patch sets, then does that mean
  that there's no need for our repository to ever move to a
  distributed tool?  (The thing is that I looked into it, and none of
  the systems look nearly as robust as svn does.)