[plt-scheme] Why "lambda"?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue May 26 11:09:57 EDT 2009

The story is that in the 10s and 20s, mathematicians and logicians
used ^ as a notation for set abstraction, as in ^i : i is prime.
Church used ^` (i.e., a primed version of this symbol) for function
abstraction, because functions are just sets with extra properties.
The first type setter/secretary read it as λ and Church was fine
with. True or not? I don't know but it's fun.