[plt-scheme] Re: difference between stateful and stateless servlets, and which to use

From: keydana at gmx.de (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Fri May 22 15:45:16 EDT 2009

Hi again,

sorry, I just now see my first question is answered on the main web
server documentation entry page (one really should not skip the
overview pages and directly jump in somewhere ...!)
So I see my guess was at least quite correct :-;
So now my question would become which is better to use: the stateful
version, storing to the database when necessary, or the stateless one,
providing a stuffer?

Sorry again for the lapse & thanks,
Sigrid

Am 22.05.2009 um 21:33 schrieb keydana at gmx.de:

> Hi all,
>
> to be honest, from the documentation it is not clear to me what the
> difference between stateful and stateless servlets is, and which I
> should use for my purpose. If I had to make a guess, I would perhaps
> assume that with stateful servlets, state is kept in memory between
> requests, whereas with stateless ones it would be always directly
> written somewhere, with the help of "stuffers"  - is this at least a
> littel correct?
>
> I 'd be very grateful for a short explanation of the real meanings,
> and also perhaps a hint which to use. I plan to write a simple web
> application, using snooze for the database handling. Up till now I'd
> imagined triggering the database operations "manually"
> (directly writing "save!" commands when necessary), but now I wonder
> if this would be the way to go only with stateful servlets, whereas
> with stateless ones I would pack this into a stuffer?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any help,
> Sigrid

Posted on the users mailing list.