[plt-scheme] End-user instructions for upgrading single PLaneT package

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon May 18 11:51:58 EDT 2009

Robby Findler wrote at 05/18/2009 11:24 AM:
> Thus, planet aims to make it be true that installing new packages can
> never break existing, already installed code. Thus versions of
> software packages are not installation specific, but instead are
> file-specific. That is, the mapping from the require line to the
> planet version that is used depends on where the require appears in
> the program and what version that require got the first time it was
> executed.
>
> Anyways, I realize that's a bit apologetic and doesn't actually help
> you in the slightest, but I hope it at least clarifies why the current
> planet setup isn't completely without merit.

I think that the existing PLaneT is mostly the right thing.  And I agree
with the mechanisms to avoid upgrading versions automatically.

If I understand correctly, we're in agreement that there's a place for
non-automatic selective upgrades (and the reason those will generally
work is because the versioning system generally works), and we just need
someone to implement the UI.

I will take a look at implementing "sicp-upgrade", since I need it
immediately, and then maybe take a look at a general UI.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/