[plt-scheme] End-user instructions for upgrading single PLaneT package

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon May 18 10:21:20 EDT 2009

Robby Findler wrote at 05/18/2009 10:04 AM:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
>
>> Now I only need a way to say "require the latest version
>> that's in PLaneT, even if you already have a version installed."
>>

> The easiest thing to do would be to tell them to uninstall their
> current version of sicp, ie:
>
>   planet remove ...

I actually don't think that's sufficiently easy for the user.  I tried
typing out step-by-step instructions for it, and then I deleted them out
of embarrassment.  I replaced the instructions with a vague reference to
the "planet" commands the user would need if their version was too old
to have the "uninstall-sicp" procedure.

>> I'm thinking that, if user already has a version installed, then that
>> version will have an "upgrade-sicp" procedure in the SICP language.  This
>> procedure would automate going to PLaneT to find the latest version, doing a
>> dynamic require of it, then instruct the user to restart DrScheme.
>>
>> There should also be a "Upgrade SICP" menu item.  (Without obvious HtDP
>> jokes.)
>>

> I think you can do that using

Thanks, I think that's the way to solve the problem for the SICP package.

For other PLaneT packages, in addition to the earlier need for DrScheme
GUI for installing a package from PLaneT that we talked about recently,
I think we need a general mechanism for selectively upgrading PLaneT
packages.  For example, some GUI for user to say "update this one
package to the latest version."  Or, better yet, GUI that presents list
of outdated versions, and lets user select which ones to update.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/