[plt-scheme] 12.4.2 word definition; is this OK?

From: Felix Klock's PLT scheme proxy (pltscheme at pnkfx.org)
Date: Tue May 12 14:53:38 EDT 2009

Matthias-

I think Henk's response to Grant is raising a point that Carl's
response did not address, and therefore the finality ("Period.") of
your response to Henk is quite misleading.

Grant's original question was: "Is this definition of word OK?"

Now, I cannot tell if Grant is asking about his Data Definition (which
I would have written as a definition for a class "Word", with a
capital "W", but that's just me), or if he meant to refer to his
procedure definition, whose name is actually spelled "word?" with a
question mark.

But either way, Henk points out that Grant's data definition is not
great, because the reader cannot tell for sure if the elements of a
word are constrained to only be the 26 symbols that correspond to the
lowercase letters of the english alphabet.

Most of the responses to Grant have ignored the parenthetical "('a,
'b, ..., 'z) in his data definition, but that may have been a very
significant component.

I would say that Grant should clarify his data definition by either
explicitly referring to a different class like Letter which consists
(solely) of the 26 symbols of interest, *or* Grant should remove the
parenthetical.

-Felix