[plt-scheme] [OT] Books on Software Design

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Tue May 12 09:13:49 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If he will make a career out of it and wants to enjoy it: The
>> Passionate Programmer
>
> Didn't know about this; I'll check it out. BTW, I found the Prag.
> Prog. disappointing -- it really is for novices looking for a step up.

I was disappointed, too.

I was didn't learn anything from either The Pragmatic Programmer or
from The Passionate Programmer, however, they both have a lot of value
for potential software developers. The latter is especially valuable
when you take into account that you need to make a career out of
software development; and you ought to be happy doing so.

At work, there is a desire to collectively raise the level of quality
among all of the "journeyman" programmers (aka juniors). They have so,
so much to learn; and both of those books are perfect just for setting
some expectations and defining some paths to meeting those
expectations.

Posted on the users mailing list.