[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: Neil Toronto (ntoronto at cs.byu.edu)
Date: Sat May 9 20:01:17 EDT 2009

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> At Rice I was apparently disliked by the physics department because I
> caused several highly talented and deeply mathematical students to
> switch majors. Then again, I have had at least two students tell me (in
> the words of one) that "you seduced me, you made me think computing and
> programming was sooo elegant and sooo beautiful, and now I am stuck with
> C++." :-)

It can't be all that bad that more professional programmers realize the
pain they're in having to use languages like that. Your bait-and-switch
curriculum might end up having good consequences. :)

OTOH, I can't think of any set of business rules I ever implemented Out
There that I could describe as elegant.

Neil

Posted on the users mailing list.