[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 6 19:17:13 EDT 2009

> i'll be contrary and say that i think having somebody learn
> programming through spreadsheets is actually something of a nice idea.
> i mean, if the spreadsheet thing really is motivation for them. sorta
> like if somebody learns to write code initially because they like
> modding video games. sure, their code might suck at first, but heck
> whose doesn't?

Is it possible for somebody to learn bad programming habits from
programming spreadsheets?

Is it important for the programming techniques someone learns to scale
well and transmit to other domains in order to solve larger or
different problems?

I am sure somebody can learn to put a screw in a hole using a hammer,
but would it not be better to listen to a mentor and use a
screwdriver?

> the problem is that educational facilities often don't give a rat's
> ass about what could possibly really motivate each individual

Really? I am not a member of the PLT team, but I feel your comment is
out of line. It is precisely, because so many gainfully employed at
"education facilities" that environments like PLT Scheme exist. I am
rather sure these folks do care about motivating individuals as many
others on this list.

--

Cheers,

Marco