[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Wed May 6 16:27:54 EDT 2009

John Clements wrote:

> Likewise, the problem with computers is that they confound the use of
> the models (mathematics, computation) that we already have.

Related, perhaps: sometimes students complain that they have to write
answers out by hand on exams, and they don't have a computer at hand
like they do for assignments. I tell them that I'm interested in
assessing their grasp of the ideas, not in whether they can get all the
details exactly right. A written answer with a couple of minor but fatal
flaws would lose a mark or two out of ten, but it might have taken them
another twenty minutes to an hour to discover the error if they had to.

That said, I've heard of people teaching the first course using
"hand-marked pseudocode", and that perhaps goes too far, with no
feedback at all prior to assessment. This is a problem with mathematics
as well. I find marking O-notation "proofs" painful, because the
students go wildly wrong, and they don't even realize it.

Perhaps we should restrict the use of computers to an hour a day, or
allow only a dozen times hitting "Run" before the software forces a
timeout. Back in high school in the '70's, when we had to run cards
through a machine to set up a batch job (or, even worse, send them
offsite and get back printouts), we took a lot more care in crafting
things. (Well: those who didn't flunked out faster, at any rate.)

I teach models such as HtDP describes because I think they are very
important. Many students don't get it. Their sole model is "run it and
see if it works". The problem with that, as I repeatedly explain to
them, is what if it doesn't? They need some independent way of
explaining the discrepancy between what they thought they were doing and
what they actually did. The primacy of the computer encourages them to
neglect mental models. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.